Main Forum
Page
of 3

Should Reselling Be Allowed?

26 replies
Yag
Votes:
Untagged users
Hey guys, it's me, shoe20. I'm here to talk about something that has really been irking me, and I just want to hear what you guys think about it:

People buying items from someone else purely for the intent to resell it.

I have witnessed this a couple of times this season, and I won't name who has done it because I don't want them to feel attacked or anything of that sort. But it does happen.

What the problem is:

Let's say Shop A is selling an Item for 4 Diamonds, and it is the cheapest price for that Item. Then the owner of Shop B comes along, buys said Item, and resells it for 5 Diamonds. He makes 1 Diamond Profit, and he didn't even have to work for said Item.

Now I know what your saying: "Well if Shop B sells them for 5 Diamonds, and Shop A sells them for 4, people will obviously buy from Shop A."

This isn't always the case, because let's say Shop B buys out Shop A's stock of the item. This will cause everyone to have to buy from Shop B for the time being, until Shop A gets restocked.

Another thing you might be saying is: "What if they bought more than they needed for their project/whatever they are using it for, and they don't need the extra?"

I say to this, they should be able to sell them. When I say "reselling" I mean people buying the item just for the sole intent of selling it for a higher price at their Shop. If people actually use the item, and they don't need it anymore, go ahead, sell it.

What do you guys think about this situation? Should it be allowed, or should it not be allowed? If it becomes not allowed, what should the punishment be?
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde
Posted Jul 15, 17 · OP
Creator
Votes:
+8
Creator
Personally, I think this should be allowed. If people want to buy it to sell it, go ahead! It's technically theirs now. The person buying it has given the owner the diamonds. Pays them to basically own that item now. Once that item is owned, they should be able to do whatever they want with it. Now if the item was free, like all of Bee's shop, that should not be allowed, or not right to do, because not even Bee is making a profit from this. But if it was a paid for item, the owner got what they asked for, now the person should be allowed to do whatever he/she wants with the items, including reselling it.
Posted Jul 15, 17
Diamond
List
Undo
Votes:
Untagged users
(We've had this debate a lot, so I'm just reposting basicially what I've said before)
It's part of the economy. Unless we make it a rule, there's no way we can completely control reselling. People could just buy the item, wait a few days, then sell it.
I think reselling is a good thing too, because it's also a challenge. I've owned a shop before and done this. (The shop I bought the item from would always buy back from me, so it was also a fun game)
My point is, reselling is a thing that will always happen. And this debate usually follows it. It's like the debate for turning off keep inventory. It's always going to exist.
How do I use this signature thing?
Posted Jul 15, 17
Yag
Votes:
Untagged users
The point is that they are basically cheating owner of Shop A one diamond. The point of purchasing an item should be to use it for yourself, not make a profit off of it.

If you are going to use the logic that you are using, then Bee's Shop should be able to be resold.

She is giving the item away for free, and for people to "own" the items. So they could be able to do whatever they want with it, including reselling it. There shouldn't be a difference on whether the item is free or purchased.

I consider reselling an item for an extra diamond to be cheap tactics, and some might even consider it a market scam.

Your point is taken, but I still stand strong with my case.
Posted Jul 15, 17 · OP
Yag
Votes:
Untagged users
wrote:
(We've had this debate a lot, so I'm just reposting basicially what I've said before)
It's part of the economy. Unless we make it a rule, there's no way we can completely control reselling. People could just buy the item, wait a few days, then sell it.
I think reselling is a good thing too, because it's also a challenge. I've owned a shop before and done this. (The shop I bought the item from would always buy back from me, so it was also a fun game)
My point is, reselling is a thing that will always happen. And this debate usually follows it. It's like the debate for turning off keep inventory. It's always going to exist.

I have never seen a debate about this, and if you didn't understand what I meant by "Should it be Allowed", it means that we should consider making it a rule not to resell.

And waiting a few days wouldn't change the fact that they bought the item with the intent to resell.

I don't really see the challenge in reselling, because the challenge should be actually collecting the resources that you sell for yourself.

Reselling will not "always" happen if there's enough people that share my opinion.

Again, I've never seen a debate like this, nor one for keep inventory.
Posted Jul 15, 17 · OP
Creator
Votes:
+8
Creator
And also, the "market scam" is a thing that could be easily avoided by customers. If they are that worried in that, then I feel like they should look more carefully. ALSO, You almost never know when someone buys your stuff, and then resells it, so I feel like it isn't much of a problem.
While it could be considered "wrong," I don't think it should have a rule against it.

P.S. I've heard this conversation many times as well xD
Posted Jul 15, 17
Staff
Votes:
+3
Manager
Staff
I believe reselling is perfectly fine. at the end of the day, that is how a healthy economy works!

If reselling were to be banned then it would just push the price down way too far, and could even threaten to break the economy. Business at its purest is Buying and Selling. Buy high, Sell low. If someone is Selling Iron for 4 diamonds like you say, the cheapest, then they will sell out before anyone else has even shopped at the competitor shops. To me, as someone studying business, this would tell me that my price is too low, and thus I would increase my price. Sure, it may take longer too sell the inventory, but ultimatly you are making more money. Win win.
Posted Jul 15, 17
Yag
Votes:
Untagged users
And also, the "market scam" is a thing that could be easily avoided by customers. If they are that worried in that, then I feel like they should look more carefully. ALSO, You almost never know when someone buys your stuff, and then resells it, so I feel like it isn't much of a problem.
While it could be considered "wrong," I don't think it should have a rule against it.

P.S. I've heard this conversation many times as well xD

You're misinterpreting "market scam". The scam wouldn't be to the customers, it would be to the Shop Owner.

If we were to make this a rule, we could ask staff to check a chest and see if someone bought the item and has a shop that sells the exact same item.

Just to prevent someone saying: "Well what if they bought the item and actually used and didn't resell it."

The flaw with that statement is, if they sell the item, why would they need to buy it from someone else?

And to people who are going to say: "Maybe they didn't have the stock in their shop."

You would think that if you can collect enough of the Item to have extra enough to sell in your shop, it wouldn't be hard to just collect it yourself the way you normally do when you restock your shop.

Finally, to the people who are going to say: "Well, Staff will be cluttered with requests to check chests."

Let me start off by saying, that's their job that they volunteered to do. And then we have the fact, that if this is a rule that actually goes into effect, how many people do you think would take the risk of getting banned over just not collecting resources themselves? I would say not that many, which would mean that you they wouldn't be bombarded with requests to have chests checked.
Posted Jul 15, 17 · OP
Votes:
+8
VIP
It really shouldn't be encouraged, but technically once you've bought it you can do whatever you like with it. It's the same way things work in real life (sort of). Consumers buy from distributors who buy from manufacturers.
Profile+Banner+3_1500239266.jpg
Posted Jul 15, 17
Votes:
+1
Wiki Editor
Shop owners do this in real life all the time, it's called "Flipping" It's just how economy works.
Posted Jul 15, 17
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices