Page
of 3

Should Reselling Be Allowed?

26 replies
Votes:
Untagged users
wrote:
wrote:
(We've had this debate a lot, so I'm just reposting basicially what I've said before)
It's part of the economy. Unless we make it a rule, there's no way we can completely control reselling. People could just buy the item, wait a few days, then sell it.
I think reselling is a good thing too, because it's also a challenge. I've owned a shop before and done this. (The shop I bought the item from would always buy back from me, so it was also a fun game)
My point is, reselling is a thing that will always happen. And this debate usually follows it. It's like the debate for turning off keep inventory. It's always going to exist.
I have never seen a debate about this, and if you didn't understand what I meant by "Should it be Allowed", it means that we should consider making it a rule not to resell.

And waiting a few days wouldn't change the fact that they bought the item with the intent to resell.

I don't really see the challenge in reselling, because the challenge should be actually collecting the resources that you sell for yourself.

Reselling will not "always" happen if there's enough people that share my opinion.

Again, I've never seen a debate like this, nor one for keep inventory.
You must not've been around the forums then, because debates for keep inventory and reselling are pretty common with new players that don't know we've had this debate many times. (I'm not saying you're new, I'm just saying you must not've seen those posts.)
And I know it wouldn't change the fact they bought it to resell, and I never did say that it would change the fact. What I mean by that is, since there's no way to prove the person bought the item and maybe got that item elsewhere (like from a custom structure, dungeon, temple, et cetera) then how do we know in that few day time period they didn't get it elsewhere as well?
And yes, reselling will happen if a rule isn't put in place, regardless of how many people share your opinion. (quote Clumby because he has a stronger point)
I believe reselling is perfectly fine. at the end of the day, that is how a healthy economy works!

If reselling were to be banned then it would just push the price down way too far, and could even threaten to break the economy. Business at its purest is Buying and Selling. Buy high, Sell low. If someone is Selling Iron for 4 diamonds like you say, the cheapest, then they will sell out before anyone else has even shopped at the competitor shops. To me, as someone studying business, this would tell me that my price is too low, and thus I would increase my price. Sure, it may take longer too sell the inventory, but ultimatly you are making more money. Win win.
How do I use this signature thing?
Posted Jul 15, 17
Staff
Votes:
+3
Staff
NOTE: Just noticed I had a bit of a slip up where I put "Buy High Sell low". The correct phrase is "Buy Low Sell High". Just wanted to highlight this as it may cause confusion.

-Clumby
Posted Jul 15, 17
Votes:
+14
Level 1
LEVEL 1
Admins
Manager
Sponsor
As others have said, this is how economics work. It's why I suggest shop owners occasionally browse the other shops to see what items are being sold for. Since there is no way for a central depository to keep track of things being bought and sold, shop owners will need to do some research on their own to see how they stack up to the competiton. It's a similar concept to how someone buys something that is valuable at a yard sale and resells it for profit.

The other part of this is that this would be time consuming for staff to enforce. They'd have to go through the shops and check on who is buying what and if they are reselling. They could go off of reports, but if this were a rule, there would still be that expectation that someone is checking this, which means time away from something else.

Perhaps what you could do to help, is when you see this, let Shop A know that someone is probably reselling their goods and to adjust their prices so they can get a bit more diamonds for their wares.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape... somewhere...
Posted Jul 15, 17
Diamond
List
Undo
Votes:
Untagged users
I think its a great idea reselling things. besides your not going to report that someone is reselling. bc you never know. now if this was a rule the only way you would suspect someone for reselling if it has the same name. so there is not really a point on reselling
Posted Jul 15, 17
Votes:
+8
VIP
It's why I suggest shop owners occasionally browse the other shops to see what items are being sold for. Since there is no way for a central depository to keep track of things being bought and sold, shop owners will need to do some research on their own to see how they stack up to the competiton.
This may be in the works currently. ;)
Profile+Banner+3_1500239266.jpg
Posted Jul 15, 17
Owner
Votes:
+2
Admins
Online on Site
Owner
Manager
Staff
Please note this is my personal opinion on this. I am for reselling, it helps to drive up market costs, if shop A sells for 4 diamonds and shop B gets 5 or more then it is shop A's fault for selling lower than the market allows him to, it isnt shop B's problem that he wants more cash and can get it.

Personally i think people are selling items too low, ive already seen rare books go for less than 10 diamonds which is absurd to me, i get that you guys like to be kind to each other and sell at great prices but i also know the works that goes into getting each book and i think you guys are undervaluing your time greatly.

Last map i was buying low and selling high all map and making a killing and the map before that i was making ridiculous amounts. I get that buying ans selling takes more time if you ask more money but to me it was always worth it. At no time do i think a mending book should be going for less than 12-15 diamonds. Really though endgame enchants like that or even efficiency 4 and 5 should be going for lots too.

Long story short, you guys are devaluing rare items by selling them low and getting mad when someone is clever and sells them higher than you. To prevent this, sell it high in the first place at its actual value.
Posted Jul 16, 17
Votes:
+8
VIP
And as the amount of those rare items increases, prices will drop even lower. You control the deals and economy, so set the price!

I'll admit it, I hike up my prices are little if nobody else is online competing with me.
Posted Jul 16, 17
Financial Manager
Votes:
+22
Level 1
LEVEL 1
Admins
Financial Manager
Manager
Staff
Most people have pointed out all the flaws and such of making it a rule but just to state my thoughts,

I'm personally against reselling, but it's likely always going to happen. I would discourage it because my personal view of the shops are a way to sell items not only for a profit but a way to provide items for the community that they may not be able to get on their own. So, I think people should sell their items for however much they think is fair for the amount of work they put into getting the items. I think its annoying when someone resells your items, but if you sell them for a fair price you still get what you expected, BUT it does screw over anyone looking to buy the item though by forcing them to buy a higher price which I think is rude and selfish. As people have said though thats alot of time and work put on staff to be on top of something small that is always going to happen anyways.

TLDR
I personally discourage it, but I don't think its reasonable to make a rule against it.
Posted Jul 16, 17
Votes:
+8
VIP
Most people have pointed out all the flaws and such of making it a rule but just to state my thoughts,

I'm personally against reselling, but it's likely always going to happen. I would discourage it because my personal view of the shops are a way to sell items not only for a profit but a way to provide items for the community that they may not be able to get on their own. So, I think people should sell their items for however much they think is fair for the amount of work they put into getting the items. I think its annoying when someone resells your items, but if you sell them for a fair price you still get what you expected, BUT it does screw over anyone looking to buy the item though by forcing them to buy a higher price which I think is rude and selfish. As people have said though thats alot of time and work put on staff to be on top of something small that is always going to happen anyways.

TLDR
I personally discourage it, but I don't think its reasonable to make a rule against it.
This is my opinion in a nutshell. I don't like it when people put hard work into making or finding something to sell, then others buying it off of people and jacking it up just to make a quick buck when they don't have to do anything.

Then again, it's just how the world works. Plus this would be near impossible to enforce.
Profile+Banner+3_1500239266.jpg
Posted Jul 16, 17
Owner
Votes:
+2
Admins
Online on Site
Owner
Manager
Staff
like i said above, the best way to prevent people reselling your items is to sell them at a higher price yourself so theres no profit to be made
Posted Jul 16, 17
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices